Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Recording: Part 1


I forgot how recording can become such a non-linear process of layering, listening, layering again... editing... sub-mixing... mixing again... etc...

Luckily, I enjoy this process.

My first album, which I released 2 years ago, took a year and a half to produce. Partly because I switched studios mid-stream from Atlas Studio in Santa Rosa to Alley One Studio in Healdsburg.
Then I realized I wanted a lot of other instruments, and I also took the time to get feedback from trusted listeners before the final mixing and mastering.

This time, I have tried to have a shorter process, only recording 7 songs instead of 12, and a having a clearer vision due to all the pre-production home recording I did last fall.
But, low-and-behold, I find new ideas, new sounds, new layers and the process is stretching out.

My ambitious deadline was to be finished before my European Tour -which would allow me to have two CDs to offer to my new Euro-fans.
But alas, that is not going to happen. Oh well.

I've been happy to be recording again at Atlas Studio. Jesse Wickman is a talented drummer who is such a nice, helpful and smart recording engineer! What a great combination! And he offers his drumming as a bonus when an artist records at his studio, so I've been lucky to get some wonderful drum tracks.

And I'm really excited about these new songs!
Most of them have been worked over in Saturday Songshop with Jai Josefs.
They are at a whole new level, and I could see a couple of them ending up in movies, or on television!

Musical guests and instruments have included: JD Limelight on Bass, Scully Kalkman on Tuba, Heather Houseman on Cello, Deirdre Egan on Harp, Jordan Wardlaw on Saxophone and Clarinet, and Julie Lewis for backing vocals. There might be a few more people included when it's all done.
Here are a few pictures:



There are still a few more layers to add, and of course mixing... and listening... and mixing again...

But I know this is going to be a great album! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment